Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dealing with Homesickness

Homesickness is something that happens to everyone who travels. Even the most valient and adventurous of travelers misses home from time to time. It's normal, expected, and (almost always) curable.
I myself have had to deal with bouts of homesickness, but perhaps (so far anyway) on a lesser level than some other people. I think this is due to the fact that I have spent the past several years pouring over books about different cities and countries, talking my head off to anyone that would listen about my travel aspirations, always imagining myself to be in some exotic locale. So the fact that I am actually here in Spain, living the Seville life, is somewhat of a relief to me. My dreams are being fulfilled. And usually that thought alone is enough to keep me content.
However, as great as expatriate life can be, the truth is that it can be very lonely at times. For me this is most apparent in the mornings. As I am making my daily trek to the train station at sunrise*, I pass by many mothers and fathers taking their children to work. They are holding hands, walking down the tiny cobblestone streets together. At that moment I feel so far away from my family and my friends, who are no doubt sound asleep at the other corner of the world.
I also, admittedly, got a brief but intense bout of homesickness the day after my birthday this past weekend. I couldn't explain why, but I just really wanted to be back in Iowa on that day, more than anything else. These feelings can make one feel very frustrated and powerless.
But one of the great things about being independent is that you realize just how strong you really are as a person. I was able to talk myself out of my de-funkt feelings, and now I feel fine. I know that some other day a bout of homesickness will come along, but I'll be ready.

Some tips for those abroad who experience a bout of homesickness:

1. Reconnect with your home culture. Usually calling an old friend or family member helps. Those who know you the best are usually able to cheer you up. The day after my birthday talked to my friend John Compton in Alaska, and even though we talked for only a few minutes, I felt much better afterwards.
Another idea is to watch a movie or show from back home. I do this when I am craving American culture. Websites like sidereel.com and alluc.org have TONS of movies and t.v. shows that you can watch streaming (and FREE!) from your computer.

2. Go for a walk. This is so simple, but my goodness it works. When I am homesick, I force myself to take a walk through the city. I walk by the Cathedral, stroll through the Gardens of Murillo, or pass by the park by the Guadalquivir River. Seeing the magic, beauty, and exoticism of the city that I live in reminds me of exactly why I am here, and why I have fought so hard to be here. Plus the fresh air and exercise will leave you feeling revived.

3. Get creative. Some of the most creative ideas, stories or pieces of art are spawns of feelings of frustration or sadness. So break out that journal or sketchbook, and pour your feelings out on paper. It is incredibly theraputic, and its also interesting to go back later and see just exactly what you were experiencing at that moment.

4.. Engage with your local crew. Sometimes when you are homesick you want to hole yourself up in your room and mope. When you've done that for half an hour, call your local friends! Explain to them how you are feeling. If they are from a foreign country too, chances are they understand where you are coming from. And its always comforting to know that you have friends that are there (in town) if you need someone to talk to.

5. Do something new! Take this opportunity to distract yourself with something fun and interesting that you've wanted to do. Been meaning to see that new art collection at the local museum? Go see it! Always wanted to try out an Arabic bathhouse? Go do it! Usually the satisfaction of experiencing something new will give you a renewed sense of adventure.

6. Realize that it is a phase and it will pass. It will. I promise. Hey, we are all human. We are not robots who are able to forget about the people and places that make our lives so special. It is normal to have aches for home, but they will wax and wane. And it gets better over time. Just remind yourself why you are here in the first place. And remind yourself that you will be home again, and when you do reunite yourself with your loved ones, the reunion will be oh so sweet.




*The sun rises very late in Spain....about 8am.

2 comments:

chessiakelley said...

Thank you so much for all of these wonderful tips! Honestly, they could save many a study abroad student. Homesickness is pretty much inevitable as you mention, but now we will be armed!

I have been working for a free video messaging service called ooVoo lately, and have come to realize that it is so perfect to talking to those you love across time zones and oceans. Super easy to use and with great quality, you can chat with up to 6 pple at once! you can also post your videos on your blog or email your random musings if the time zones don't quite match up. The video emails are amazing (seriously simple, whoa).

Anyway, thanks so much for your tips, and maybe a useful one for you!

Anonymous said...

That’s as well nice, hope it will make a Rocking place for youth and I also Hope that will come true. Best of luck!! http://germanfairytaleacademy.com