Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Clarification on " A Note on Americanism"

I just talked to my Dad, and he said "so you know if someone is American if they smile at strangers on the street or if they apologize often? Are Spaniards so unfriendly then?" My answer: absolutely not. Spainards are wonderful, warm and exciting people.
But I was referring to the "over-saying-you're-sorry" complex. Think about how many times you say "I'm sorry" everyday. For things you can't even control.
The general Spanish notion is that Americans waaaay overuse the phrase "I'm sorry" or "excuse me". There is a great example from exploreseville.com where the author says:

In terms of the difference between Spain and the U.S. I always think of my trips to the grocery while visiting home. Almost everyone who walked by me in the U.S. while I stared at the selection on the shelves said "excuse me". But why? I'm here shopping and certainly coming within 2-3 feet of me doesn't warrant an apology.

It's true! Americans use "I'm sorry" too much. And I am (perhaps was) a great example of that. I would apologize for knocking over a book that was 10 feet away from you. Heck, I even apologized to my own reflection once when I bumped into a mirror! (Jill Hartsock, you remember that one!!! :)) In the Spaniard's mind, however, even brushing up against someone in a public place is a normal thing and doesn't merit an "I'm sorry". I have begun to adopt this mentality.

This is not to say that I go around body-checking everyone I see without saying anything. But a little harmless, unintentional body contact is expected from day-to-day life.....why apologize for it 100 times a day and dilute the meaning of it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aubs - laughed out loud at the memory of the mirror apology in Vegas! Good times! Jill

Anonymous said...

That’s as well nice, hope it will make a Rocking place for youth and I also Hope that will come true. Best of luck!! http://germanfairytaleacademy.com