Monday, April 14, 2008

Random Things I love about Spain

So last time I shared a few of my pet peeves, and now I would like to share with you some completely random things that I love about Spain:

- I absolutely love flamenco music and the influence it has all over the city, at any time of day. Its not uncommon to see people in a plaza break out into a little impromptu flamenco session, singing, clapping out a rhythm or strumming on their guitar. There are flamenco bars all around town that have concerts a few times a week. a notable place is the labrinto, a bar hidden behind Plaza Encarnacion that has a different act every Tuesday. Its full of students and a really fun atmosphere in general. I plan on going tomorrow! :)

- I have found that I tend to bond with the older generation here. I mean really old generation. In Spain the elderly are called "ancianos" which means "the ancients", and that kinda makes me giggle. but i always find myself talking to a random anciano in a park or on the street. i remember when i first arrived the first sevillian i ever met was an old, wrinkly woman who lives on my street. she was so tiny and shriveled...she came up to about my knees. and she had absolutely no teeth. she was so friendly but i couldn't understand a word she said as her speech was so gummy.
today i helped out an anciano at the train station and he promptly came down and sat right next to me on the train and just started talking and talking and talking about the times when franco was the dictator (for some reason they all want to tell me about franco times) and I just listened to him. i feel like i have a lot to learn from them and enjoy their storytelling and heartfelt advice. the more i grow older, the more i realize how much the older generation has to say, and they want to share their story with anyone and everyone who will listen. its a good thing i like a good story! plus, its good practice for me to try and understand the really gummy, toothless Spanish that's out there.

-I love the feeling of sitting in a plaza full of palm trees on a warm sevillian evening with my friends, drinking a tinto de verano (wine mixed with fanta). there is always background music with all the street musicians playing the guitar or accordian. in that moment, i feel like i am in paradise.

-I love, LOVE the fact that old Spanish men walk with their hands clasped behind their back. i don't know why, but i love it SO MUCH. it makes me feel so happy inside when i see it. I finally got a photo of it one day in Extremadura, which i posted a week or so ago on this website.

- I LOVE it when a Spaniard asks me for directions (which happens a lot). And I love it even more when I know what street they're looking for (as that's not always the case).

-I love the fact that there are times when i'm walking down the street and a horse and carriage passes right next to me. except for when the horse shits all over the place.

- I love that in Spain, a tip isn't required. If I go out to a bar with my friends, we never have to give a tip. If i take a taxi, I MAYBE give 50 cents. Of course, if the service was outstanding, it deserves a tip, but not more than a euro or two!

thats all for now........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper blogs! I love it really!! Would come back to visit soon, again Thanks. tp://germanacademyofarts.com