Thursday, March 27, 2008

Q & A for future Language and Culture Assistants part II

What is a typical weekday like for you?
Well, most days I get up around 7:30am and am out of the house by 8:00am. I walk 20 minutes to the train station, then I take a 20 minute train ride to Brenes. I have breakfast at the school bar and then have anywhere between 3 and 5 classes. Some of these classes I spend in front of a classroom of students, and other times I work one on one with the professors from the Computer Science department. I am usually out of the institute by 1pm, and take the train back home to Seville. I eat lunch at home, except on Thursdays when i give lessons to my boss' (Almudena's) children and then eat lunch (the main meal of the day) with her family afterwards. I then go to my various private lessons that I have around the city. After I'm done I call up my friend Marion and we go to a cafe or a sunny plaza and talk for awhile, or I go to her house. Often I will sit up on my rooftop and watch the sun go down behind the cathedral. I have dinner at about 9 or 10pm. Then I do my lesson plans for the next morning, tool around on my computer, and go to bed at about 12am.

What type of living situation do you recommend?
I definitely recommend trying your hardest to live with Spaniards or at least people from other countries. I just don't understand why many Americans insist on living with other Americans while in Spain. First of all, living with Americans is something that you can do back home. Take this opportunity to live with people from other countries. It is a great way to gain cultural understanding, and its a great way to meet new people! Also, if you only live with other Americans then you will only speak English. To be able to live in Spain for a year is a great gift, so why not use this time wisely to practice your Spanish? You'll return to the US with a polished and important skill that will undoubtedly boost your resume.

How much Spanish do I really need to know before I go to Spain?
Techinally you need to have a "high intermediate" understanding of Spanish to participate in the program, but there are people on the program that have less than that. Within the European spectrum, Spain as at the tail-end of English comprehension (partly due to, in my opinion, dubbing american t.v. and movies instead of subtitling them) so you will not find a lot of Spaniards who speak fluent English. So bone up on your Spanish before arriving, but know that you will definitely improve your Spanish within the year that you are here.
Also, be aware that in Andalucia they have a very distinct accent that can be very very confusing to outsiders. Most Andalucians don't pronounce the "s" in words and swallow the end of their words, and it takes a LOT of getting used to. So don't be surprised if you don't know what the heck anyone is saying when you first arrive. don't worry though, you will acclimate.

Can you elaborate a bit on the cost of living in Seville?
Yeah, sure, I can elaborate a bit. Here are the average prices for some random things. Remember that one euro = $1.50 USD

Baguette (French loaf of bread) = .75 euro cents
small beer or glass of wine in a bar = 1.10 euros
small soft drink in a bar = 1.30 euros
liter of water from a supermarket = .40 euro cents
basic Bic pen = 90 cents
haircut (wash, cut, style) = 20 euros
regular-sized bath towel = 10-15 euros
normal bottle of Loreal foundation = 19 euros
basic 53-piece China plate set = 463 euros

okay i know you aren't going to buy a 53-piece china set in spain, but i just wanted to share that with you. i saw that yesterday in a store window in a mom-and-pops store. it was really ugly china too. 463 euros for that? seriously, that's insane. anyway, if you want to see an more complete list of costs, visit exploreseville.com.

Should I bring my laptop?
Yes, I think so. Before, when I was advising for Spain at the University of Iowa OfSA, I always told students who were going to study abroad that it wasn't a good idea to bring it along. It is too much of a liability, Liz and I would say. But now that in-house internet is pretty much the norm here, I think it is a good idea. My laptop as proven to be an extremely useful, informative and entertaining resource and I don't know what I would have done without it. plus, it saves on spending way to much money at an internet cafe. those things drain your pockets QUICKLY.
a word of advice though- don't carry your laptop around. I never, ever, take it out of my house. That way the liability issue isn't one at all.


I asked to be placed in a big city (Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Malaga) but they put me in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere! What should I do?
I remember last year holding my breath and crossing my fingers and hoping and hoping that I would be placed in Seville, where I had requested to be. Though I was actually placed to work in the tiny town of Brenes, I was luckly to be only a short 20 minute train-ride from Seville, so this allowed me to live in the city. I lucked out, but I remember getting mass emails from other program participants who had asked for a big city but didn't recieve it. everyday i would get very annoying emails pleading "Help! i'm in a small little town in the middle of nowhere and I want to live in Granada/Sevilla/Malaga! Does anyone placed in Granada/Sevilla/Malaga want to switch with me?" Wow. Do those people really think that anyone is really going to switch with them? Anyway, if this happens to you, I recommend that you do the following:

Check your location on a map:
it is quite likely that you are somewhere near a bigger town or city. If you are under an hour's train or bus ride to the big city, you could definitely live in that big city. Spain's public transportation is efficient and cheap.

Deal with it: If your tiny town is farther than 1 hour away from a major city, don't despair. There are a lot of really great things about living in small towns. First of all, you will become a little mini-celeb in your town and befriend a lot of locals, which is the most desirable experience. Your Spanish will definitely improve more than those who live in a city, since you will be a bit more isolated then them. And you won't have to deal with hordes of tourists. Your cost of living will be MUCH lower. You'll never be too far from a big city or a beach. Think of the positives. And remember that no matter where you are placed, you are going to have a great year!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely, what an outstanding website full of informative posts, I will surely bookmark this site. Absolutely free essay and research paper samples