Monday, March 24, 2008

Q&A for Future Language and Culture Assistants part I

What exactly does the job entail?
The job of a Language and Culture assistant is essentially bringing your native American background into the Spanish educational system. Inside the class, you are not a teacher. In fact, you are technically never to be alone with a class (though these rules can (and have been) bent) and basically you lend your native accent to the class. you are also expected to talk about your culture and share your cultural norms, etc.

How many hours does it require?
The position of a language and culture assistant is 12 hours a week, and from my experience, they seem to be pretty strict about not going over that limit.

How much preparation is needed?
You don't need to be experienced in teaching, you basically just have to be a native English speaker. My advice: bring a good English grammar book for reference!

What is the working environment like?
This varies from place to place, but my personal experience has been great. there are about 80 teachers total working at my school, and although i don't know all of them, i have become quite close with several of them. i find the work environment to be very informal- the professor's lounge is a social gathering and is usually full of chatter.


What are the students like?
When I first came to Spain, I had this image in my mind of snotty little Spanish kids who wanted nothing to do with a spoiled little American girl. Before starting my job, i met with one of my future co-workers. he scared he half to death (and probably jokingly) and told me to be serious with the kids or they would eat me alive. Well, I am not exactly a serious person so I was a bit nervous. It turns out I had nothing to be afraid of. I acted like my crazy, energetic self and they loved me for it. I feel like a celebrity when they gather around the railings and say "HELLO OBRIIIIII!" as i pass by. they have been nothing but enthusiastic about getting to know me, where I'm from, what i think about this and that, etc. I genuinely love those kids and they are what makes this job so awesome.

What is the dress code?
The dress code is way lax. Wear jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, whatever you like.

What should classroom tools should I bring with me?

I recommend bringing a good grammar book (for private tutoring lessons.....more on this later), maps and pictures of your hometown, pictures of your family and friends (great for a unit on family members), cds of american music, movies, children's books. and finally.....AMERICAN CANDY. it is the way to a spanish child's heart. :)

630 euros a month isn't a lot. How do you survive?
Although you are techinally "not allowed" to take on another job, you will soon find that private english lessons are a ludcrative and cash-in-hand-extracurricular kind of job. Post some well-constructed signs advertising your native english skills and the offers will come flying in. I charge no less than 12 euros an hour (about 17 dollars an hour) and in some special cases I am paid up to 30 euros an hour (43 dollars). it is entirely possible for one to make an additional 150 euros a week (on top of your base 630...which by the way will increase to 700 euros for 2008-09 year) and still have time to enjoy the delights of Andalucia. The only downside to private tutoring is reliability... cancelling is a commonpractice among students, so a set income isn't always guarenteed.


What about holidays?
This is one of the many perks of the job. You get at least 2 weeks for Christmas, and 1 week for Semana Santa (in March or April). Both are paid. Plus there are many national and local holidays in Spain, and the 3 or 4-day weekend is common practice. All are paid.

What about housing?
I highly recommend trying to arrange housing beforehand or coming early and arranging something. For those who will be living in Seville: I rented from an amazing agency called Roomates Sevilla
and found a great shared apartment in the middle of the city for a great price.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND coming just days before you start work and thinking you will find something off the bat. Usually not so. I have known people who have spent weeks sleeping in hostals or hotels, looking and looking for an apartment, only to find an overpriced place in an out-of-the-way neighborhood. PLAN AHEAD.

What is the cost of living like?
Europe is more expensive due to the decline in the US dollar. Fortunately for you (those who will go to Andalucia) southern Spain is one of the best bargains in Western Europe. I live in a big, bright, centralized, shared apartment for 265 euros a month including WIFI. Including rent, i am able to live comfortably on 700 euros a month in (what the pay for a 2008-09 Language and Culture Assistant will be) without traveling on weekends. Any extra money made by private tutoring lessons can be saved or used for traveling (or shopping!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks, this was very helpful !!! i am going this year and this has helped me out

hockeyguy25 said...

I'm african-american and I wanna know what are my chances of encountering discrimination as a cultural assistant?

Karla said...

is the program open to all nationalities? what are the other eligibility requirements?
hope you could clarify this for me.
thanks!

(khtulio@gmail.com)

Karla said...

Appreciate it as well if you could email your answer.
Thanks again!

(khtulio@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Definitely, what an outstanding website full of informative posts, I will surely bookmark this site. Absolutely free essay and research paper samples