Monday, May 5, 2008

Updates

Hey everyone!
I just realized that I haven't updated my blog in a few weeks......oops!
I have been quite busy though- the sun is shining and the weather is wonderful, and it makes me want to be outside with my friends, walking around the city and enjoying the warm Andalucian primavera. You would not BELIEVE the flowers that have blossomed all over the city. There are seriously flowers from every color of the rainbow....even blue flowers, which I myself have not seen very much of before in my life. The only downside to the beautiful flora is allergies.......I have never in my life suffered from allergies, but I have noticed that it has affected me here. I gotta say though- the beauty of the city is worth it!!!!

We had a long weekend here in Spain......no school on Thursday due to Spain's Labor Day... I went out in the countryside for a belated-birthday party for one of my coworkers.....we spent the day relaxing, eating (LOTS of seafood and pork) and chatting about everything under the sun. I was the only foreigner there, and that's the way I like it!!!
On Saturday I went to Cadiz with Marion. We hung out on the beach and stayed the night in the old part of the city- I had a great time! Seville is the best, but it is nice to take a little break and head for the sea. A bus from seville to Cadiz is only an 1 and a half ride.....not too bad!!!

A bit of bad news though......this past Friday, 4 kids from Brenes were involved in a car accident on the highway and died. 2 of them were students at the school where I work, although I didn't have either of them in my classes. They were apparently coming back from celebrating a communion of someone in the town. Oddly enough I had talked with my students about that specific communion, as many of them had said they were going there. Its such a tragedy that a seemingly happy day could end in such sadness.
Needless to say the school and the town of Brenes are pretty shook up. Most of my kids are friends, cousins or neighbors with the boys who passed away. By the way, the students who died where 19 and 18 years old.....the other 2 boys were 20 and 21 years old. So sad.
If you understand Spanish and would like to learn more about the accident, you can go to the website for Canal Sur and watch a short video about it at the following website: http://www.canalsur.es/informativos/portada?idActivo=164&idCanal=713
It should be on the main page, with the title being "Dos mil personas despiden a los cuarto fallecidos en el accidente en Brenes" - translation: "2 thousand people say goodbye to the 4 boys killed in an accident in Brenes".


That's all for now, the bell is going to ring......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper blogs! I love it really!! Would come back to visit soon, again Thanks. tp://germanacademyofarts.com