Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today is the day

Even though I'm an ocean away from the biggest presidental election to happen in recent history, don't think that I'm removed from it all. Oh, quite the contrary. Today I have been reminded all around me that today is THE DAY. Today at school in Brenes I was constantly stopped in the hall by professors, who squeezed my arm and said "Today is your day. How are you feeling?" My students started chanting "O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!" I said, "Yes! Please, let OBAMA WIN!" I then added, "if McCain wins, I might just stay in Spain forever." So then they started chanting "MCCAIN! MCCAIN! MCCAIN!"
My two favorite fellow political analysts, Jorge and Puri (who work at the school cafeteria and make the best cafe con leche EVER) were ready to discuss the day as I ate my ham and tomato toast. Jorge and Puri and I have been relentlessly, obsessively talking about politics since last October. Everyday we get into engrossing and passionate discussions over american politics- so I was really excited to talk to them. We were all nervious but pretty sure that Obama will win.

The election obsession didn't stop there. On my way home from a private english lesson I stopped in a bodega for some jamon and a beer. I struck up a conversation with an old man behind the bar, who wanted to be reassured by me that Obama would win. "We really like Obama over here in Spain", he said. After that I stopped by my neighborhood corner shop to talk to the owner with whom I have a good repoire. He told me that he's very worried about the economic crisis. In just three months his morgage has gone from 700 euros/month to 1200 euros/month. He sadly told me that he will have to look for another job to pay for the payment increase, and said that ultimately he will have to close the shop I have come to know and love over this past year. As I left, he raised a fist in the air and said, "GO OBAMA!"

And that's not all. Four of the major cable t.v. stations are boasting full, all-night coverage of the US elections LIVE from Washington D.C. Everyone's talking about it. It's a big deal to all of us. As the neighborhood shopkeeper said, "Tonight the world will change."

So it goes to show that even if it is AMERICA'S election, it still affects everyone in this increasingly interconnected world. Tonight, all the eyes of the world will be on the 50 states.

So, here's to today (and for me, TONIGHT.....its 8pm already here)..... and may change be just ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a long time me & my friend were searching for informative blogs, but now I am on the right place guys, you have made a room in my hea http://www.evinylletters.com