Thursday, March 26, 2009

Some Very American Things I Have Taught my Kids to Say

Somewhere in southern Spain there are little 12 year old kids muttering these words:

1. What's up girl/dude?
2. Yeah!
3. You're crazy!
4. Thank God it's Friday!
5. Yes we can!
6. Awesome
7. Duuuuuuuude!
8. Whatever
9. Shit! (This is PURELY accidental! One day a student pronounced "sheet" this way and I had to explain why not to say that, and what "shit" actually means. Oops! Thank God they don't say it a lot- at least in my presence anyway)
10. Alright!
11. Sweeeeeeeeeet!
12. Eeeeexcelent (think Mr. Burns tapping his finger tips together)

3 comments:

Rob P. said...

That's good stuff, A.M.! Nice work!

Nikhil said...

Hi Aubree,

I don't know you, but I came across your blog looking for info on the MEC program you are doing, or have just finished, actually.

I really enjoy your blog, especially because I just came back from Sevilla doing a summer study abroad. I loved it and everything you say makes so much sense.

I hope to apply for the program for the 2010-2011 year, but until then, I just have one question: How did you get Sevilla?

That would be my dream considering I basically fell in love with it while I was there.

Anyway, thanks for the great blog and hope you're doing well.

Hasta luego

Aubree said...

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your comment! I really do encourage you to apply for the MEC program- it was a fantastic experience and I wish i was doing it a 3rd year!!!
About getting Seville- that was pure luck, actually. On your initial application you are able to select your top 3 provinces of choice- andalucia was my first, and I got that of course. once you send in your acceptance waiver you are allowed to put in what cities/metro regions you prefer, if any. I put Seville, and as luck would have it, I got my wish.

In all honesty though, I guarentee you will have a great time wherever you are placed. Spanish people rock (but yes, Seville is quite fantastic).

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the program.

Best,
Aubree