Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sevilla es una maravilla!






















Hello everyone!






Well, I've been in Seville for almost a week, and I'm really enjoying myself. I feel like I'm stepping back in time when I walked down the tiny, winding streets, passing the ancient cathedrals and horse and carriages. It truely is a magical place.






As I've been getting to know my surroundings, I have met some really great people along the way. This past week I've met German, Italian, Dutch, Swiss, French, Brazilian, Mexican, Chilean people.......oh, the list goes on and on! Everyone has been so friendly to me, and it makes me feel very at home. I think this is going to be a great year. Actually, I KNOW it will.












One person that I've met that I'm particularly fond of is a Brazilian girl named Ana. Marco, my roommate, suggested that we go shopping together one day since we are both new to the city. I ended up having the time of my life with her- we talked and laughed for hours and since then we've gone out for tapas (little snacks.....more on that tradition later) and gone out to see a flamenco show. i'm sure we will be quite good friends here.












I went to a flamenco bar last night called "La Carboneria" with my roommates and Ana. It is quite a legendary bar here in Seville- every night they have free flamenco shows. Wow, it was amazing. There is so much passion that goes in to the dance, song and guitar playing of the art form of flamenco. It moved me so much, in fact, that I think I might just take some flamenco classes myself!!






My roommate Kaya studies flamenco, so everyday he plays the guitar, and now his friend from Israel is here the also studies flamenco, and they are having a jam session right now as I am writing this. It's pretty sweet- I'm so lucky to be living with such cool, interesting people.












I start my job as a teaching assistant at the high school on Wednesday, and I gotta tell you, I'm quite nervous. I met up with a professor who works at my school, and he basically said that all the kids are cabrones (little brats) and that I can't smile or else they'll eat me alive. Well, anyone who knows me knows that I'm not the most serious of persons, so needless to say he scared me a bit. But we'll see- hopefully it won't be as bad as he made it out to be.












I go to Granada, a beautiful Moorish city, on Monday and Tuesday for orientation. The Spanish Ministry of Education is putting us up in a super nice hotel, so I'm quite excited about that. It will also be nice to meet some people who are in the same boat as me. Well, it's about 3pm, and its time for me to eat lunch. Yes, that's right. In Spain, you eat lunch quite late, at about 2 or 3pm, and dinner? Usually right around 10pm. Yes, it's been an adjustment, but I'm embracing the cultural differences.












I leave you now with a few pictures- some pics that I took of the city yesterday when it was cloudy out, a picture of the flamenco performance last night, a photo of me and my roommate Kaya, and just for fun, a picture of my adorable parents that I took a week ago, just before I hopped on a plane to Spain.






Besos,






Aubree

No comments: